Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary has an expanding Community Outreach Programme (TCOP) that seeks to protect the Western chimpanzee and their habitats by taking a natural resource management approach to sensitize, conduct research, contribute to a human-wildlife co-existence, and promote sustainable livelihoods in Sierra Leone, in both rural and urban areas. The Field Coordinator in Pujehun District will be based in Jaibui Island Research Station and will report directly to the Conservation Manager. The Field Coordinator must be conservation driven, self-motivated, and have experience supervising and coordinating a team.
- To oversee outreach officers in Pujehun during field trips.
- To coordinate a team of 6 bio-monitoring technicians in Jaibui Island.
- To manage the Jaibui Research Station and coordinate visitors/researchers.
- To assist research activities undertaken in the Island (camera trap surveys, wildlife census, etc).
- To assist updating the species list in the island.
- To supervise the implementation of alternative livelihoods in 19 communities.
- To supervise the construction of eco-lodges.
- To report activities, achievements and recommendations in monthly reports to the Conservation Manager.
- To attend and represent TCOP team in community meetings and other organizations.
- To create and maintain collaboration with other organizations and institution (GRNP, Njala University etc).
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Ideally a Bachelor in Biology or a background in Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science, Conservation or Wildlife.
- Previous professional experience in wildlife conservation or Community-based development is a plus.
- Driving license (car or motorbike) preferred.
- Ability to live in a remote area with basic amenities.
- Experience in Africa is a plus.
- Monthly stipend paid in local salary or transferred every 3 months to international bank account.
- Basic onsite accommodation.
- One local meal per day (rice with sauce).
- All expenses (e.g. return airfares, food, living expenses, medical expenses, insurance, etc) must be covered by the volunteer.
Length of Contract:
This is an excellent opportunity to work in the field of conservation, whilst gaining invaluable practical experience working to protect the critically endangered Western chimpanzee.
Please send your CV, a cover letter and two professional references as soon as possible by email to email@example.com and ensure that your email subject is “Application for Field Coordinator – Pujehun District”.